Monday, May 16, 2011

Original foreword for "Your Superpowers"


 I'm hoping that I can get most of the story of how Your Superpowers came to be out in bits and pieces.  This is the first foreword that I wrote, which I eventually swapped out for another foreword that was more targeted to the reader.  

Like most of humanity, I didn't discover until long after the fact that Junior High and High School "growing up" does not have to be all pain and no gain.

            Teaching High School and working as a summer councilor for 12-18 year-old's helped me remember the reality of this stage after many of my friends and peers had long forgotten.

            Like countless others who spend time with and care about the youth, I've been able to help several individuals make real changes, but never really created a system that could be duplicated by anyone and everyone. 

            When one of my nephews tuned 13, I felt a strong desire to help him avoid the terrible struggles that I've seen so many before him experience.  So many of the boys and girls at this age feel trapped in their lost self-esteem, and truly don't know where to turn for hope and peace.  Many of them question life and everything that used to give them stability.  This often results in struggles with parents, life-long friendships breaking up, and feeling like a big loser.

            As I thought about some of the young people I care about, I felt lost as well.  How could I help them see that all of the struggle is a mirage?  How could I help them see that if they choose not to, they don't have to play the game and feel like they have to fight their way through the maturation process? 

            About three weeks later I woke up with the impression that I needed to write a book for my nephew.  I put pen to paper and began writing.  In a burst of inspiration, I found myself writing faster and faster, and just barely kept up with the words as they came to my mind.  It was amazing.  It was a gift from God.  Six hours later, completely exhausted, I finally put my pen down and allowed myself to eat as I massaged my right wrist.  I had finished my first book. 

            It wasn't until much later that I realized the actual creation of this book occurred only because I followed each and every step outlined inside.  Today my gratitude and excitement overwhelm me as I realize this gift from God was for my nephew, and for every teen and pre-teen in the world that doesn't want to be a victim.  I'm grateful that I was able to be a part of this teaching process.  The creation of the book itself is proof that the words and messages taught inside are inspired.  As with all truth, these principles can and will inspire you and the youth you care about, as soon as you are ready to receive them.

            Get ready to expect miracles,

                                   


Steve Gardner

1 comment:

  1. love the phrase "as soon as you are ready to receive them"!!! What an excellent point. Congrats on finishing (well, being so close anyway) this big project!

    ReplyDelete