Sunday, May 1, 2011

Thoughts at the conclusion of the Joe Vitale competition

For those who may not know.  I sell Miracles Coaching for Joe Vitale (www.mrfire.com).  Six months ago a competition began for all the salesmen on my account.  The top three salesmen over a six month period would be able to go visit Joe for a weekend.
It was very important to me to be able to be one of the top performers and go to Joe's house.  I have deep respect for Joe, and I believe he can do a lot to help me market my book.
The competition just finished yesterday, and miraculously, I have made it into the top three, and will be able to go.

A synopsis of the competition
The chosen three were not decided by total volume over the six months, but by the total number of "puzzle pieces" accumulated by being the top salesman for any given week.


*six months ago we were told about the competition, and the rules.
*first week of the competition:  One other person on the team won the puzzle piece even though half of his sales volume was from the week before.  I was second, and felt like I was cheated out of the piece.
*soon after that, Alina's family arrived from China.  We were responsible for them for over two months.
*we went on a two-week vacation to Zion National Park, Las Vegas, and San Diego
*Alina and I were sealed in San Diego
*we returned from the vacation and I resume selling
*In-laws begin to feel cramped and uncomfortable living at my parents house in Sandy (imagine that), and we abruptly move to Idaho
*I start selling in Idaho
*wrote Your Superpowers
*Alina's family goes back to China
*Alina goes back to school at BYU-I
*I start selling extremely well, but am very, very, very far behind most of the competition.
*by two weeks before the end of the competition, I have only two puzzle pieces, Jared, Ross, and Scott all have 3, Christian has 5 or 6.  I had been working hard and getting deals every week, but usually not enough deals to get any more puzzle pieces.  At that time I prayed and told Heavenly Father that if it was more important for someone else to go, I would accept that.  I got off my knees and put in heavy hours of work.  In total I sold $8,400 worth of coaching, but Jared won the piece for the week.

last week.
*last week.  Monday I received word that the tie-breaker would be total volume sold.  Of the people with 3 or less puzzle pieces, I had the most volume, so if I could win the last piece I would tie with three and I would go.  Monday I work with my Miracles Coach to do some energy exercises.  I work hard all week.  I have several potential sets, none of them turn into sales.  One by one people disqualified themselves and I continue working hard.  Friday I burn out.  Total number of sales: 0.  I have three great potential sales that fall apart on Friday.  I also receive an email from my great potential sale set for Saturday that she has decided not to do the coaching.  I gave up.  I left work early, took a nap, watched some playoff basketball, and told Alina that I was frustrated.
*get a good night's sleep
*Saturday--last day of the week, last week of the month, last month of the competition.  I arrived at work early, and my only potential sale of the day did not answer the phone when I called at our scheduled 8:00 AM appointment.
For some reason I stay focused.  I call a different deal from earlier in the week that had not answered the phone the first time I called.  She was from Uganda.  She had been telling me that she wanted to do the program for over a month.  This time she answered the phone and immediately said "I apologize for not answering yesterday, there were riots in Uganda and and the government shut down the phone service...."
She was ready to go so we closed a $3k deal.  I called about 25 other people, left messages, and went to eat breakfast.  I came back and was on the phone for about another hour.  Then I called a woman in the UK who was thrilled to hear from me.  We spoke for about 90 minutes and she was ready to pay for coaching.  My team leader closed that deal for $8,450.  When I finished that deal I listened to my answering machine again and there was another person who wanted to get started with coaching.  I closed that deal for $2550.  Altogether it was just enough to win the puzzle piece.  Total miracle.


Meanwhile, I've been taking notes that will soon turn into my next book, which will be a sequel to Your Superpowers.
I can't help but think that the "trial of our faith" will be a significant aspect of the second or third book in this series.
So often we think of that trial as something that we have to endure to prove ourselves to God, or something like that.  But I have now realized that there is incredible value in the refining process of going through a "trial."
After the miraculous conclusion to the competition, I can feel a dramatic shift in my energy.  I am SO much more grateful, and so much more trusting than I would have been if the competition had not been so dramatic.
I am confident that my increased gratitude has significantly raised my "vibration."  This elevated energy level is going to make it possible for me to reach some other very aggressive goals that I have set for this year.
Heavenly Father loves me, and He in His infinite wisdom knows that my energy level up until now was not sufficient to create my desires.  However, by creating such a dramatic finish to the competition, He has elevated my gratitude, elevated my faith, and increased my understanding so that I can, with His help, accomplish greater miracles.

5 comments:

  1. amazing story Steve. I've been going through a few "trials" lately and have noticed what a difference it makes to take them on with gratitude. Instead of feeling like I have to prove myself to God, I thank Him that He's given me an experience, or set of them, that will help me grow as a person. As I look back on my life and see how He has always brought me through hard times, I can look to the future and, with a surety, KNOW that He'll get me through the present time. And then I can feel gratitude, even in the midst of something hard.

    What a great story; thanks for sharing it! Can't wait to read more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! Looking forward to reading more about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have to tell you that your story of perseverance and "detaching" yourself from the outcome has tremendously helped Stan and me. We are totally focused on continuing to do all we can, but leaving the results in the hands of the Lord, and not worrying. Set the goal, move forward... you have helped us SO much! Thank you Steve! And we are SO excited that you get to go to spend the weekend with Joe Vitale. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will be flying to his house Wednesday the 25th, and come back late Friday night. Pretty exciting!

    ReplyDelete